Friday, October 9, 2009

Tanya's Take on Wild Horses and Burros

Current read: The Lost Symbol, by Dan Brown


Did you know nearly 37,000 wild horses and burros --descendants of the Wild West -- roam Nevada, California, and Wyoming? Another 32,000 are tended in corrals and pastures in Kansas, Oklahoma, and South Dakota. While the Bureau of Land Management rounds p thousands annually for adoption, there have been fewer takers the last few years.

In recent months, Secretary of the U.S. Department of the Interior Ken Salazar had warned that the slaughter of many of these animals might be inevitable. Water and forage are limited in the West, he said, and drought and wildfire threaten both range land and the animals' well-being. There are actually ranchers, Western lawmakers, and even a few Native American groups who long for this practice! Fortunately, Salazer, who is a former rancher, rejects this idea along with most of the American public.

Secretary Salazer has just announced to Congress a new plan to protect both the animals and range by moving thousands of horses and burros to preserves in the Midwest and East. Five preserves in addition to two already maintained would become refuge for 25,000 wild horses and burros. Many remaining on the range would be neutered, and reproduction closely monitored.

The planned preserves, essentially large ranches, would be accessible to the public, ecotourism. Salazar's plan is highly praised as it reverses decades of government policies that consider these critters "nuisances."

The thought of slaughter broke my heart. Horses and burros are tightly woven into the fabric of the Old West. I almost wish those buckaroos were called horseboys in honor of those elegant, hardworking, temperamental equines. And as for burros, well, I just love them and have sponsored three at a sanctuary in Israel.

If only I lived on a farm or ranch and not a typical suburban cul-de-sac. There would be no end to the number of critters in my homegrown zoo. (I'll write about the Safe Haven for Donkeys in Israel soon.)

And maybe Salazer's compassion will reverse the recent horrible decision to open hunting of wolves in Idaho. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. HOWL!

3 comments:

Jennie Marsland said...

The thought of these beautiful animals being slaughtered breaks my heart, too. Nothing says 'old West" like a herd of mustangs running wild and free. I'm so glad there are people determined to protect them. I'd have a menagerie too if I could!

Tanya Hanson said...

Thanks for stopping by, Linda. I can't imagine anybody wanting to hurt animals. Especially these icons of the old West.

We drove through Oatman AZ not long ago,and the burros left-over from the miners reign supreme. I loved it!

Lucy Naylor Kubash said...

I hope the new proposal takes hold. I hate the thought of wild horses and burros being slaughered. It's somehow just not right,and having once been owned by a horse, I have a special place in my heart for them. Thanks for the information.

Lucy Kubash