Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tanya Writes About Colors...and Marc Chagall



Ditsy Tanya's Almanac #8

All colors are the friends of their neighbors and the lovers of their opposites. --Marc Chagall

I just remember loving his work, Chagall's, when I studied Art in college. And although I spend most of my current life creating on the page, I do love the smell and slide of oils and paint on occasion. Colors smush in that way only oil paints can. In fact, when I got in a creative slump one time, my prof said, are you rich?

Spoiled, I replied.

Then get yourself some oils. You'll like them better than arcyllic. And how right he was.

I guess it's kind of like writing: typewriter vs. computer. Both work but one is better.

And Chagall...not only was he Russian and Abstract (I am both)...but I love the legend that every painting features his wife Bella somewhere in the composition. And with Notting Hill being one of my all-time favorite movies, well, remember the Chagall poster in Will's blue-doored house that was "how love should be" and snooty actress Anna gives him the original oil after being so mean to him? Sigh.

Now IMO, that's the stuff of great art and fiction. Agree?

Next up: Scanxiety

No comments: