Friday, April 24, 2009

Tanya Writes About Arbor Day...and a Special Fifth Anniversary!

Ditsy Tanya's Almanac #12

I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree.
--Joyce Kilmer


J. Sterling Morgan, editor at Nebraska' most influential newspaper, established Arbor Day in 1874 to stress the value of trees. Indeed, the event is mentioned in my first Western romance, The Outlaw's Woman, set in Nebraska in 1877. In 1885, Arbor Day was recognized as an official legal holiday in Nebraska, and now is celebrated nationwide on the last Friday in April.

Ah. Trees. The shade is divine. The birdsong coming from the branches the hymn of heaven.

Today is also a special day for my precious son and DIL. Five years of marriage, a lovely welcoming home...and my to-die-for grandson. Ah. God is good.

Happy Anniversary, dear hearts, and many, many more. May your love story be a million pages long!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arbor Day is celebrated on the last Friday in April-that's today!
A little movie about the tradition here:Arbor Day

Tanya Hanson said...

Yes, I corrected it just now even before I read your comment. Thanks for stopping by. It was a typo first time around LOL

Thanks for the link.