Sunday, March 28, 2010

Special Edition: The Donkey, by G.K. Chesteton


To honor Palm Sunday and the celebration of our Lord Jesus' triumphant procession into Jerusalem, I can't resist sharing one of my favorite poems. I read it as a teenager, and it's never left my heart.

I totally love donkeys.

The donkey is such a patient, humble and intelligent beast of burden...such a precious part of a petting zoo and so terribly mistreated in many third-world countries. Some years ago, I learned of the Safe Haven for Donkeys in the Holy Land, and the selfless young woman Lucy Fensom who rescues these sweet animals. I've supported Jake, Jordie, and Burnie. Enjoy the poem and then visit her site and see up close the wonderful work she does, along with her caring staff and volunteers the world over. I promise you'll both weep and rejoice. Lucy's nothing less than a Mother Theresa for needy equines. God bless her!

The Donkey

When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born;

With monstrous head and sickening cry
And ears like errant wings,
The devil's walking parody
On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
And palms before my feet
.

~~G.K. Chesterton (1874–1936)

2 comments:

Randi said...

Maybe this could be a destination spot for you sometime?

http://www.seeinspotsfarm.com/

Hehe. Tiny donkeys.

Tanya Hanson said...

Hi Randi, I will sure check it out. Thanks for stopping by!