Sunday, September 7, 2008

Tanya Writes About Her Award-Winning Chili



I will write all about yesterday's LAF
"Livestrong"
Walk/Run
/Ride in the
beautiful Santa Ynez valley
but I need time to upload the pix and we're off in a little bit to the fam's fantasy football league KICK-OFF party.

Spending the day with my favorite people --my kids, grandbaby, other relations and friends-- is my best kind of day. Before I sign off, I'm gonna pass along the recipe for which I won The Chili Bowl at the 2008 annual cook-off held each year during the Super Bowl...at which time also the most covered award in sports, our fantasy league trophy, is handed out.

(However, I have not claimed that trophy yet...)

Here's a pic of me with my hero and The Bowl at Yankee Stadium. And it's a "traveling" trophy which meant I took it along to New York with us!

This is a simple taco soup I got from a church cook-book with some of my own spin. And it's quite delish, if I do say so myself.

2 pounds ground beef or turkey.
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 1/2 cps water.
1 can (15 oz) mild chili beans
1 can (15 oz) whole kernel corn...or cut from two fresh cobs
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained. (For best effect, get the pintos
with jalapenos.)
1 can (15 oz) stewed tomatoes.
1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
1 can (4 oz) chopped Ortega chilis
1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
Add to your taste: a couple teaspoons jalapenos, juice from jalapenos, any taco or chili sauce.
Salt and pepper to taste.

In large kettle, brown meat and drain. Add taco seasoning and mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients, simmer uncovered for 15 minutes...or until heated through. Stir occasionally. Yields 6-8 servings.

For my award-winner, I slow-cooked all ingredients [meat cooked first] in my football-shaped Crock Pot for several hours. It was rarin' to go at tasting time.

Enjoy....and livestrong.

No comments: