Sunday, April 6, 2008

Tanya Writes About Testicular Cancer #4

Today has been a pretty good day. My hero got plenty of rest and ate a tad. Now, someday we're gonna laugh, him and me, about these days and weeks of him not eating. Normally we both need to shed a few pounds...

Which of course he's done. Not me though. Stress eating they call it. Although I have abstained from wine, my favorite thing. It's the least I can do. The scent of it makes him gag.

At church, Pastor Walt asked how things were going. He was gone last Sunday so I mentioned the last two weeks had been pretty rough. His reply: Hey, you guys got a great diagnosis. He's gonna be fine. Save the depression for when things are truly bad.

How right he is. I recently joined a T.C. list-serve and have been getting e-mails from guys who are going through or already gone through just what my hero's going through. They all tell us to hang in and assure us he'll be fine. Tonight a wife wrote me, said to keep in touch.

How good not to be alone!

Not that we've been alone. All those near and dear to us have pulled through like you can't believe. My friend Karen fixed a ton of meals. Maxine and Jerry left a picnic basket full of goodies on the porch. Betty and Blake next door cook extra. Charlene met me for lunch during our long, five-day chemo weeks.

Oh, e-mails, inspirational forwards. Cards. Hugs and yes, even tears once in a while.

I just meant that now, we're taking the journey with other T.C. heroes whom I can whine to, cry with --rejoice.

But the best are our kids. My hero and I feel so bad they have to go through this, but in spite of their busy lives, they put us first. Our beautiful girl will be here tomorrow for two days. Her boss, the best boss ever, has told her to be with her parents whenever she can. Wow.

Every Saturday, our beautiful son brings his baby boy to spend time with Grampa. (We adore our DIL too but she has a few faithful clients on Saturday mornings.) Yesterday he brought breakfast, and that sweet little boy showed us how he's learned to climb. On anything and everything.

...when we first learned that this ugly thing had came to live with us, my hero held me tight and said, oh, I want to walk my daughter down the aisle at her wedding. I want to watch that little guy grow up.

I can't deny that moment brought us both to tears. Manly hero misting on his part. But he's gonna get his wish.

God is great. God is good.

All the time.

(I just need to remember it a hundred million more times a day.)

No comments: